Wednesday, March 7, 2012

You Might Be a Redneck

........if your Peruvian translater asks where you're from, are you speaking something other than English? I quickly explained that some of us are proud to be from the southern United States. Now, all that know me know how I talk. Extremely 'country'. I just didn't realize that I spoke another language. These people are actually from further south than I am. Come on!
         Kidding aside, the young man that has been helping us in the reception area is named Abel. He speaks four languages. Spanish, Quechua, English and French. I am now trying to teach him 'Redneck'. Of course, the first thing I hit him with when he got on me about my mastery of the English language, was that he obviously didn't have a brother named Cain. The next step was to explain what a redneck was, what it meant to be from the south and then, Jeff Foxworthy 'You might be a Redneck if" jokes. Another day or two and he will have "y'all" down pat.
         I really am enjoying working with the local people here in Cusco. I am learning about all of our differences, but at the same time, realizing how similar we all are. We all get sick. We all hurt. We all need reassurance from time to time. We need someone to listen to us. But, most importantly, we all need God. No matter where I have been around the world, at home or abroad, nothing has been more obvious to me than that. I just hope that while I’m here I can help lead someone closer to God.

‘Til next time………

Me and Abel

No comments:

Post a Comment