Saturday, March 9, 2013

Final Numbers and Wrap Up

I've said it before but I will say it again. What a great week it has been here in Cusco, Peru. We finished the medical campaign on Thursday seeing another 184 patients with 164 requesting Bible studies. Amazing. The sad part about Thursday's clinic was that we had to turn away about 40 people because we had to close early to set up for a seminar we were hosting on Thursday night. Remember, we were going to the village of Corca for a clinic on Thursady but the bus strike prevented us from doing so. Thursday's cliic at the church building was an unadvertised, impromptu clinic and we could have seen well over 200 people if time allowed. The great news for the week was we saw a total of 968 patients with 802 of them requesting Bible studies and followup. That is 83% of patients seen! As we begin, and continue, some campaigns back in the States I pray the receptiveness will be just as strong.
As for Friday, we took a sight seeing day to some remote areas of the Cusco region. Some of our team went to Machu Picchu while the rest of us that had been there before went on a day hike, yes hike, through a couple of small villages that featured some ancient ruins and other historical sites. I took quite a few pictures, but I promise they will never fully represent actually hiking through the remote Andes Mountain villages and ruins. We hiked at elevetions between 10,500 and 12500'. For those wondering, the Birmingham area probably averages about 300 to 600' above sea level, in the low areas. I admit the uphill parts of the hike we a little trying on my lungs and the downhill parts wrenched my knees a little. But, I stayed at the front of the line, my heart stayed inside my chest cavity and I finished as good or better than this 46 year old probably should have.
As before, this experience was awesome. But as the week has come to an end, I am ready to go home and see my family. I want to thank everyone who supported this mission, at church and at work. I am blessed to have a church family and work family that affords me the opportunity to take part in such efforts.
Today we will board the plane in Cusco, fly to Miami and return in B'ham on Sunday. Keep us in your thoughts and prayers as we travel.
 
 
......'til next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment